The K-1 visa is sometimes known as a fiancé visa. A United States citizen who is engaged to a foreign national may petition to have his or her fiancé(e) enter the United States in order for them to marry.

To qualify for this visa, both the United States citizen-petitioner and the foreign national fiancé(e) must satisfy the following criteria:

  • Bona Fide Intention to Marry
  • Eligible to be Lawfully Married
  • Met in Person at Least Once in Two Years Prior to Filing the K-1 Visa Petition
  • Willing to Marry within 90 Days of Entry into the United States

Upon entry into the United States, the couple must marry within 90 days or the foreign national must depart. Once married, the couple can file for lawful permanent residence for the K-1 visa holder but there is no guarantee such residence will be granted. In some cases, the K-1 visa holder may be required to file separate K-2 visas for any dependent children wishing to immigrate to the United States.

The K-1 visa is very popular among US citizens with a foreign fiancé but it is not the right choice for everyone. There are dozens of requirements that must be fulfilled in order to be approved and some of them such as vaccination requests, in-person interviews, and a valid passport may seem overwhelming. Let Dobrescu & Associates help walk you through the process and determine if the K-1 visa is the right choice for your family.